English Test For Migration to Australia

You will need to achieve a certain level of English language to be eligible for some visa applications. The level of English language required are as follows:
  • Functional English
  • Vocational English
  • Competent English
  • Proficient English
  • Superior English
The English language levels are relevant if you are planning to apply for a temporary graduate visa, student visa, skilled visas and employer-sponsored visas. You can get away with not having the necessary English level if you are applying for business visas as you can pay for a second instalment to bypass the English test. English language test can be completely bypassed if you are holding a current passport from the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.

Functional English

IELTS: 4.5 each band
TOEFL IBT: total band of 32
PTE: 30 each band
CAE: 147 each band

Vocational English

IELTS: 5 each band
TOEFL IBT: listening 4 | reading 4 | writing 14 | speaking 14
PTE: 36 each band
OET: B each band
Cambridge C1 Advanced Test: 154 each band

Competent English

IELTS: 6 each band
TOEFL IBT: listening 12 | reading 13 | writing 21 | speaking 18
PTE: 50 each band
OET: B each band
Cambridge C1 Advanced Test: 169 each band

Proficient English

IELTS: 7 each band
TOEFL IBT: listening 24 | reading 24 | writing 23 | speaking 23
PTE: 65 each band
OET: B each band
Cambridge C1 Advanced Test: 185 each band

Superior English

IELTS: 8 each band
TOEFL IBT: listening 28 | reading 29 | writing 26 | speaking 26
PTE: 79 each band
OET: A each band
Cambridge C1 Advanced Test: 200 each band

Our Recommendations

Student Visa (500)

For a student visa, you can get away with not having an English test result if you are enrolling in an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) in which you can get your visa granted and do the English test right after the course. If you would like to skip the ELICOS classes, you will need to achieve an overall score of 5.5 (IELTS), 46 (TOEFL), 162 (CAE), and 42 (PTE).

Temporary Graduate Visa (485)

You will need at least a competent level of English, if you have been speaking English for most of your student visa duration, you should not have a problem getting a competent English level, however, you should still try and prepare yourself to make sure that you can achieve it on the first try. You should use the English test for subclass 485 as an opportunity to try a new English language test as some of our clients prefer IELTS and the others prefer PTE, find the English test that you are comfortable with so that you can get a higher score to prepare for your permanent resident application if you wish to do so in the future.

Skilled Migration Permanent Resident Application

You need a minimum of competent English to be eligible for skilled visas application, however, we recommend that you get at least a proficient or superior English level as you will have a better chance of securing permanent resident spots through the points-based system and if you are applying for state nomination, some states require proficient as the lowest eligible English level.

Get Your English Level Requirement Sorted Early

Most of our previous clients find it very difficult to find time to study while having a full-time job, this ended up delaying their applications process which is something that can affect their eligibility once the government change a few requirements. You can potentially spend thousands of dollars into English test alone if you do not prepare and learn from your previous mistakes. You should plan a way to improve your English and sit in an English test to make sure that you do not overspend your money on English and delaying your application.

Try Different Test

You may prefer one test over the other, you should try different test if you are not doing well in your current choice of test.