What is Balance Of Family Test? It is a common criterion for any parent visa for the applicant(s) to be eligible for the permanent resident application where at least half or more than half of the applicant’s children are holding permanent resident visas or Australian Citizenship, temporary visa will not be counted towards the eligibility.
Who Are The Children? The children that are counted towards the applicant’s balance of family test are the following:
Your children are not counted if they are either:
- Applicant’s biological children
- Adopted children
- Partner’s children
- Previous partner’s children (must have legal custody)
- Have been removed from their parents’ exclusive legal custody by adoption, court order or operation of law
- Are registered by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) as refugees and live in a camp operated by the UNHCR
- Live in a country where they suffer persecution or human rights abuse and can’t be reunited with their parents in another country
Keep in mind: Just because you pass the family balance test does not mean your case will be successful, you still have to satisfy different aspect of the parent visa that you are applying.